Monday, August 11, 2014

An Investigator Story



Instead of my usual random scatterbrained email, today I would like to
tell you the story of our investigator N. I haven't shared much
about my investigators, but I thought it would be fun to do today. :)

   N is a 53 year old woman from Guatemala. Her husband, M,
passed away a year and a half ago. She has two lovely daughters-
V(19) and K(17). A couple of months ago N went back
to Guatemala to visit her country, and from what I understand was
dating an old friend named E.
   E is a Mormon and was one day going to the temple. N
wanted to go with him so he was like "ok, sure, why not." He planned
to have N sit in the waiting room while he did a session, but he
didn't tell her that. Upon entering the temple N was unaware that
she was not allowed to enter and would have to sit in the waiting
area. E failed to inform her beforehand that only worthy members
of the church can enter the temple. She was a little bit disappointed,
but agreed to wait, thinking it would only be about 45 minutes.
   Well, after waiting for about an hour, N started to get upset
and annoyed. From what I understand she complained to a temple worker
because she didn't know a session lasts 2 or three hours! The temple
worker informed the temple president and the temple president came and
talked to N. He gave her the easy reader Book of Mormon with
pictures in it, talked to her about the church, and told her she
neeeeeds to meet the missionaries when she goes back to New York
because they will give her the happiness she is looking for.
   N returned to the United States, and had been trying to find
the missionaries for a month. I guess the temple president didn't give
very good instructions on how to get in contact with us. One day she
was talking to her friend, let's call her M, and told her she wants
to learn about the Mormons really bad. M said "you know, I actually
used to be friends with an Elder, let me see if I still have his
number somewhere." I think M must have forgotten about that
conversation because she never gave N the elders number. Wanting
to meet with us, N called M a little while later and again
asked her to find our number.

 Now, about 2 weeks ago Elder B and Elder M were
looking through numbers in their cell phone. They saw a name in the
phone they didn't recognize and thought "what the heck, let's call
this lady right now and find out who she is!" The spirit prompted them
to call that number right then and there. Elder B calls and
says "hello, we are the missionaries for the church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints, we have your number in our cell phone and we are
calling to see if you are interested in learning about our church!"
   This lady in their phone was M! N's friend! Elder B
called M about 7 minutes after N had called M the 2nd time
and asked for our number. Right when Elder B called, M was
searching for the number without success. She was about to call N
and tell her she couldn't find the number. M said to Elder
B "I'm not interested, but I was actually just looking for
your number! I have a friend who really wants to talk to you, here's
her number, call her tonight!"
   Elders B&M are like what the heck. Someone wants to talk to us!
This neverrrrr happens! So they call N. Elder B says
"hello N, my name is Elder B, I'm a missionary for The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Your friend gave us your
number and told us you are interested in learning about our church!"
Delighted, N says, "Ah yes I have been wanting to talk to you for a
while! My daughters want to learn too. And I want your book. Can
someone bring me your book tomorrow?" Elder B is kind of in
shock about what is happening, and he says " oh, uh yeah! Of course!
Except it probably won't be me, it will be some sister missionaries if
that's ok?" N replies, "I don't care who it is, just send anyone
to bring me your book!"
   The next morning Sister B and I showed up at her house, after
getting lost for 45 minutes, with the Book of Mormon! She let us in
and we taught her and her daughter V the Plan of Salvation and
committed them to read the Book of Mormon. They are SO prepared. N
says she's not happy, and she is trying to find happiness. She thinks
the church might be an answer to her happiness. V had a lot of
questions about things our church believes. They both have a strong
desire to know for themselves if this church is true. N came to
church the following Sunday and loved it. The members were AWESOME at
picking her up for church and fellowshipping her. :))) the members are
so key.
  This week we were able to go teach N & V twice! On Thursday
N got surgery on her foot, and the Elders were able to give her a
priesthood blessing afterwards. Thank heavens for the Elders! She said
she felt the Holy Ghost so strong and felt so good. She loves the
priesthood now, hahaha it's so cute.  Andddd she came to church again.
This is the first time on my mission that an investigator has come to
church two weeks in a row! Yayyyyyy. V is coming next week....
Yeah.
   N thinks it's a miracle that we found her. At first she thought
M called the Elders and gave them her number, but really it was the
Elders who called M. Miracles happen, people! N is only one
example of the many miracles I have seen on my mission. I LOVE
MIRACLES.
   Sister B and I have lacked faith to extend the baptismal
invitation to her so far, but we promised ourselves and The Lord that
we will invite her to be baptized next time we teach her. I'll let you
know how that goes.... I hope everything works out with N and
V. They neeeed this gospel. I need it, you need it, and they
need it.
And that is the story of N.
   I'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father, that he trusted Sister
B and I enough to place N in our hands. We aren't perfect
teachers, and we sure aren't talented teachers, but Sister Molli
Layton always tells me that the Lord doesn't need talented people. All
He needs is people who are willing and obedient, and then the spirit
can do the rest. I've found this to be so true as I've watched the
spirit take over lessons and do the teaching. To me, every
investigator we have is a miracle, and every time our investigators
feel the spirit is a miracle. God is SO GOOD.
   Ok I'm done with this. I don't even like writing. in fact I hate
writing. Like why do missionaries even write home? I think it's just
cuz "everyone else is doing it, so I might as well do it too." Ok
Byeeeeee.
Love you all so much. :))))
-sister layton

OH and I finally found a good New York bagel. Sister B and I woke
up at 5:10am to go get a fresh bagel to see if they're reallllyyyyyy
that good. They were that good, people. The rumor is true. I would
gladly wake up everyday at 5:10 just to eat a New York bagel.
Oh and I mowed a lawn this week. Yes I'm in New York City. But I mowed a lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment