-----Preaching the Gospel in the New York New York South Mission-----
Monday, July 6, 2015
Welcome President & Sister Reynolds
Hello hello. Can't believe it's already Monday... What on earth.
This week was pretty good, and pretty weird. K I don't have lots of time to write because we're going to the lighthouse and the beach today sooo.... I think I'll just send a few pics and tell you about em to summarize my week :))
1. Suffolk County Park has the most beautiful trail that leads to the beach. When needed, we take our lunch breaks here and chill in the sun. It's the bestttttt. I love nature walks!
2. Reunited at mission conference with "my gurl," Sster Peterson and her darling new trainee! The new ASL sisters are perfect! I have so much confidence they will keep up the deaf work as my ASL sisters and I leave these next few transfers. Mission conference was SO fun! I love President and Sister Reynolds. They're sweet, funny, spiritual, loving, aaaaannd short! Like me! Sister Reynolds might actually be shorter than me. It's great, I feel right at home! But really, we are so grateful to have them here. The spirit was SO UNREAL as President and Sister Reynolds introduced themselves. I have no doubt they were called of God to direct our mission. Aww mannn I love the NYNYS mission :)
3. The companion and I with Y at mission conference. He comes to every mission conference/transfer meeting and takes pictures with EVERY missionary for our parents to see on FB. lollll it's hilarious.
4. I had a fantabulous exchange with Sister Vandertoolen... We did some service with neighboring districts..... What we did was pulled patches of weeds, only to replace them with "better" weeds named milkweed. According to S, monarch butterflies are going extinct, but milkweed is very good for them. Who knew! S knew wayyy too much about weeds... Hahaha. #savethemonarchs
5. S is a recent convert who knows ASL and is moving to Idaho. noooo :((((
6. Theeeee Sister Vandertoolen and I in our patriotic 4th of July clothing. Independence Day was SO GOOD. President interviews happened in the morning. Gotta love those. In the afternoon/ evening we went to 3 BBQs and ate wayyy too much food because who shows up to BBQs and doesn't eat?! 2 of the BBQs were at members, and the last one was At Js brothers house... her mom invited us! Miracles happen. They live on the water and have the most beautiful view of the bay from their backyard. But wait it gets better, they invited us to Js sisters baby shower next week and J gave me permission to give her mom a Book of Mormon there. Yayy! I'll let ya know how that goes.
7. Independence Day night! After planning we went out in the parking lot of our apartment complex with the hermanas, Elders, and J and lighted sparklers! (Which are allowed in our mission in case you were wondering.) People all over town were setting off fireworks allll dayyy long! Yes, even when it was light! Fireworks are strictly illegal, but everyone does it anyways so the cops can't really do anything about it... So, we went to the 4th floor balcony and watched the fireworks together while singing songs before 10:30. It was a good time. The loft life is the best life. Elder Sainteran has all the pics on his camera, so what I'm sending you is the best pic I've got.
Teaching wise, we had a rough week. Our investigators seem to have swept off the planet earth. We're hoping they come back soon..... However, we taught some less active members that we hadn't been able to contact foreverrrrr!!! Can't win em all, am I right?
Alright, that's all. Talk to you next week! Please keep praying for my companion and I, that we can get this work moving! Love you!!!! -Sister Layton